Thursday, September 3, 2009

Oily prune juice and sandy milk sensations aren’t deterrents to eating healthy

This week I’m getting all healthy on y’all.
Don’t worry. I’m sure we can talk festival food soon with the approach of the Texas Pecan Festival in September. But here’s a word on hurricane season:
Eat your favorites from your freezer now. You’d hate to have to toss them for any hurricane evacuations.

Hot or cold
The same chia seed that makes green, hairy “pets” makes a great cereal that’s as good for what it doesn’t have as what it does have. Chia Goodness is remarkable in that just two tablespoons soaks up water or milk to make a filling power breakfast. Serve it in a dainty bowl to highlight its nuances. My tasters enjoyed it raw and crunchy or you can add it to yogurt. I enjoyed it over bread toasted with olive oil. This made-in-Canada treat now comes in Original, Cranberry Ginger, Apple Almond Cinnamon: Chocolate is on the way. Hulled hemp seeds, buckwheat, Celtic sea salt and fruit and nuts give the flavor. A small, resealable bag goes a long way and chia offers five times the calcium of milk, more Omega 3 than salmon or flaxseed and protein and fiber. This stuff is gluten-free, lactose-free, and low glycemic.

Measuring up
I tend to eyeball spices, but Weight Watchers got me into measuring sweeties like syrup and raspberry chipotle sauce so I can get accurate servings. I brought a set of new Pyrex Cooking Solved measuring cups to a meeting and members passed them around with approval. Magnets hold the handles together so they’re always ready to go and easy to separate and wash. Measuring spoons also come in the sleek, black, streamlined look. It’s part of a line with nearly 40 BPA-free items offering “more intuitive kitchen helpers.” Look for a Pyrex balloon whisk and other goodies at Kohl's, Kmart and in limited distribution at Wal-Mart, and JC Penney.

Oily prune juice and sandy milk
Health food is beginning to be my preference over processed, salty, sugary fluff. To what some will wrinkle their noses over, I’ll dive into.
I dubbed AgroLabs, Inc.’s new Acai Daily Cleanse to remindy me of “oily prune juice” on first sip. I’ve taken double doses daily and quickly grew to like it the flavor of “the superfruit of the Amazon” when mixed with pure young green coconut water, antioxidant green tea, healing aloe vera, anti-inflammatory ginger, laxative senna and liver-boosting milk thistle. It’s full of fiber
I’ve already enjoyed boxes of Hemp Bliss Organic Hempmilk from Canada. Now they’ve improved their line and I’ll be happy to share the news again. It would take all my space to tell you how good it is for you. Besides the conversation piece that you’re drinking hemp, you get a good flavor. Drink it fast, or it could get a bit gritty near the end. It’s worth it, and here’s a recipe:
Cherry Chocolate Hemp Bliss
2 cups Manitoba Harvest Chocolate Hemp Bliss
1 10-ounce bag of frozen cherries
2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs
Blend until smooth and creamy.
ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment