Hunks Hammers & Habitat
Mark your calendars for Feb. 21, and get your ticket to Mr. Habitat at the Event Centre in Beaumont. I got a first glimpse at worthy contestants at a paparazzi media night at Madison’s.
Since 1979, Habitat of Jefferson County has built and sold 115 houses. Support Habitat for Humanity’s 6th annual event to begin at 6:30 p.m. Call (409) 832-5853.
Bridges to sign Civil War novel
Battle of Sabine Pass war buffs, take note:
David Bridges will sign his new historical novel regarding the Civil war. The author and historian will appear at Hotel Elegante, 2355 Interstate 10 in Beaumont, from 5 to 7 p.m. on Sunday and Monday, Feb 9-10. “The Broken Circle” has received rave reviews from Waite Rawls, the CEO of the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA.
The hero of “The Broken Circle,” Dr./Major James Breathed, is David’s great, great uncle, who was just awarded the coveted Confederate Medal of Honor posthumously.
Taste of Gumbo news
What’s new at Port Arthur Rotary Club’s Taste of Gumbo show? It’s also a craft show this year, on March 29, at the Robert A. “Bob” Bowers Civic Center. Libby Arnold is Queen Gumbo. Get your booth for $150. Gumbo tickets will be $10.
* The Beaumont Lumbermen is forming as an 1860s vintage baseball team. Play with no gloves and old school rules. If this sounds like its for you, call the Gladys City Visitors Center at (409) 880-1750.
* Just $10 will get you into a Mardi Gras party. That includes gumbo; It’s $5 for extra gumbo. Come in costume for the contest. Jackie Caillier and the Cajun Cousins will play at the Cajun French Music Association of Louisiana Golden Triangle Chapter’s annual Mardi Gras dance, which will begin at 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 22 at Jefferson County Singles Club, 7725 Green Ave., Nederland.
* Museum of Hardin County is new in Kountze. I haven’t been yet, but would love to see the building, contructed in 1917 as the Hardin County State Bank.
* Marty Haggard, yes that’s Merle Haggard’s son, will be at The Liberty Opry on June 14. Plenty of Saturday night shows are scheduled between now and then. I keep hearing from friends and relatives this is the place to be. Our own Jivin’ Gene just played there. And they have famous pie at “half time.” Call 1-877-729-9103 for details or go to www.libertyopry.com.
* Go wild with a new map showing the outdoor glory that is Chambers County. Visit www.co.chambers.tx.us for more information on parks, refuges and water play.