Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Oh nuts … foodie crosses over to the healthy side

I may have crossed over.
I could be one of those health food nuts. In fact, nuts … maybe almonds … sound good about now. I’m also craving some brown rice with … how about a hemp oil dressing?
Processed, salty boxes of just-add water foods are not tempting to me now that I’m making sure to get my vegetables and whole grains in. I work a little olive oil into my daily diet, but this week I’m trying Manitoba Harvest Hemp Oil in everything.
I baked it into chocolate bread and folks seemed to enjoy the “grassy, nutty” flavor. I’ve also drizzled it on popcorn, couscous and fruit salad. My bottle is emptying fast. I’ll have to contact Canada for more. Hemp Pro Fiber powder comes in regular, dark chocolate and vanilla flavors that when blended, with a banana if possible, keep me really full until lunch.
Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods & Oils has improved packaging on the omega-rich oil with a no-drip spout. Makers suggest it on salad dressings, soups, sauces, juices and smoothies: You can substitute hemp oil for other oils in recipes that are not heated above 350 degrees, or drizzle it on cooked food. Hemp oil comes with a list of benefits so long that I’ll advise you to look it up yourself, so I can have space for this recipe:
Hempini Dressing
(Makes: 1 1/2 cups; Prep Time: 5 min.)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Hemp Seed Butter
1/2 Cup Hemp Oil
1/4 Cup Tamari
1/4 Cup Maple Syrup

Directions:
Combine Hemp Oil and Hemp Seed Butter in a bowl. Stir until creamy and smooth. Add tamari and maple syrup. Mix well. Will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days in a sealed container.  This is a high protein dressing that is ideal for salads, rice or veggies.

Still snacking like astronauts
Co-workers ate all the new Frutzio varieties of freeze dried fruits in peach and apricot. At just 40 calories a serving, I suggest these as croutons for a fruit salad. You’ve got the crunch with 0 grams of fat.

La Linda
The year 2008 brought us Hurricane Ike. For Bodega Luigi Bosca, Argentina's leading family-owned premium wine producer, it produced Finca La Landa Malbec, a $10.99 bottle of wine that can lead you into the Easter/Passover season. It’s my favorite time of year to have a glass of red, but I’ve already consumed most of this bottle.
The makers have just shipped new vintage releases from its Finca La Linda portfolio with new take-note packaging. The 2008 La Linda Malbec, 2008 La Linda Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009 La Linda Viognier and 2009 La Linda Chardonnay represent the initial introductions, with more to come.
ddoiron@panews.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment