Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Columnists cross paths in Houston
My friend and I were buzzing through the Montrose area of Houston when I thought I saw a familiar face in the black car next to me. I recognized him as The Examiner’s Out and About columnist, Albert Nolen. I’m 99.9 percent sure it was him. I’ve never actually met him, though I have been very close to him at some event dance floors.
My friend insisted I roll down the window and call out to him, though I insisted he wouldn’t know me. She said one columnist ought to acknowledge another when both crossed paths so far from home.
The deal is she had put on the child locks to keep her spouse from toying with her windows and we couldn’t open them as the light changed, so what Mr. Nolen saw was two grown women wildly gesturing from a locked-down car. He was friendly anyway, and gestured back.

Full of energy
Jinni Akins grew up in Nederland and says her 2-year-old son loves the Nederland Heritage Festival as much as she did and does. She’ll be in the big middle of it next season, as the new executive vice president of the Nederland Chamber of Commerce. She says she has been welcomed with open arms and says her favorite thing about the city right now is all the support she is getting.
She promised to get around to visit all the chamber members.
Sylvia Root, chamber president, said Akins is “full of energy.”
“I think everybody’s going to feed off that. She’s not shy,” Root said.

Signs of faith in Nederland
First Assembly of God’s marquis says its church is “prayer conditioned.” Down the road, the sign at Nederland Apostolic Church reports it is “Souled Out,” with “kneeling room only.”
ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment