Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Stone is showing his Elvis love

Elvis love

Sometimes the people I write about stay in touch, and Sammy Stone Atchison is one who does. He sent me his new book, “My Life as an Elvis,” which goes into his serious Elvis love and his career as a singer.

He grew up in Port Arthur and this book, written by Michael T. Gracey, offers lots of reflections and local references. Imagine my surprise when I flipped through and found my own name in Chapter 27. I met Atchison when I wrote about him in a Port Arthur News feature story. Much of the article is in the book.

Atchison made friends at Graceland and loves to honor The King. This book also includes about 36 pages of excerpts of a letter his wife wrote detailing his brother’s illnesses and medical woes. Atchison had to make several decisions regarding his brother’s care that influences his music career.

Atchison writes the book is available on Amazon.com and at Barnes & Noble.com

Red, white and blue

My Memorial Day weekend included being part of a flag dedication ceremony I won’t forget. A business owner in Houston had dozens of guests hold a section of a giant flag, and all the children in the crowd got underneath as it was raised to its full glory. A Texas flag got the same treatment. Those colors, and what they stand for, looked great against a blue sky.

Book it to Beaumont

Summer movie nights at the McFaddin-Ward House Museum already rock. Now they’re adding a twist. Organizers challenge us to read the classic Our Town," by Thorton Wilder, then join them for a group discussion of the book and viewing of the 1940 film adaptation staring William Holden.

All this fun will begin at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, June 7 at the visitor center, 1906 Calder Ave. in Beaumont.

It’s free, and there will be popcorn. I’m in. Call (409) 832-1906 for more details.

ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment