Sunday, October 11, 2015

Tiny forks could help Steven the Stomach

 
Just a bite
         I’m a fan of tiny forks and spoons. Vintage pickle and cocktail forks, found tucked away on antique shelves or bargain priced at estate sales are fun finds that come with a bonus. These delicate utensils make my dining experience “bigger.”
         A tiny fork inspires tiny bites and the food tastes so much better when I savor instead of “shovel.”
         Young Life manages area estate sales that I’m loving. I picked up my first “set” of four Nobility Plate forks. It’s fun to look online and try to discover a history behind a found fork. Or maybe I’ll make up a story for all the parties they must have served.
         I just may keep one in my purse to remind me to slow down at restaurants, too.


Why is Steven so upset?
         In a new children’s book, Raymond Brain is sending cake, cola, candy and  ice cream down to Steven so quickly he can’t break it all down.
He’s thinking of sending it back up.
         That reference is about it for “gross factor” in Justin Noble’s helpful book. Ann Bonin illustrates Steven as a muscled little stomach in a yellow hard hat on a line, just trying to keep up with the incoming junk food. The taste buds are happy, but even Lyle Liver has to question the brain.
         Raymond Brain later apologizes to our hero and promises to do better. I hope I can remember this sage advice to young readers next time I’m tempted to go back for thirds and raid the pantry. I don’t want my own “Steven” to have to work so hard.
         Noble and his wife, Le-Ann, created My Body Village Series. In his asthmatic youth, the author’s parents found a book that helped him understand what was happening to his body. I think this is a great idea for families. Look up “Artie’s Party Featuring the Vita-Men!” and more, at www.MyBodyVIllage.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment