Sunday, October 30, 2011

Go “all out” in Spirit of Mardi Gras
I’ve heard it straight from Jan Walker. This next Mardi Gras of Southeast Texas is the 20th of its kind and Majestic Krewe of Aurora members report the theme will focus on traditional symbols with the title “Spirit of Mardi Gras.”
“Plan on going all out this year,” Walker, krewe communications director, said.
Dates are Feb. 16-19 of 2012.

Pecans for the season
Comanches must have loved pecans as much as we do. The Golden Triangle Sertoma Club is proud to be selling Durham-Ellis pecan halves for holiday baking. I looked up the Hill Country area distributor who reports Comanches ate plenty of pecans. I’m willing to sink my teeth into these babies, which come in perfect halves. I told my saleswoman they’re too pretty to chop up. The gorgeous nuts should top a cupcake or adorn a snack mix.
Proceeds from $11 bags have helped Children’s Miracle Network, American Cancer Society Mid and South County Relay for Life and scholarships. Get them for Thanksgiving and Christmas by contacting Linda Hebert at 963-4882, ljhebert@sbcglobal.net; or Emily Sonier at 365-7599, auntieem_28@yahoo.com.



“Troubadour Tx”
Robert Creaseman, a musician and motivational speaker, told an audience I was in we can all be Rockstars, and gave us a formula, which I won’t reveal here. Just tell me if it’s working, because I’m trying to rock. Creaseman is involved with “Troubadour Tx,” a new show that tells the story of Texas song writers, performers, etc. The web site says you can catch it round these parts at 5 p.m. Sundays on the CW. Of course, in his talk, he mentioned one of our famous musicians from the past, Janis Joplin.
ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment