Monday, August 18, 2014

Pop-Up Road Trip: Houston edition


Oh, the things you can do when the kids are out of the house. My husband heard a cousin from the valley would be in Houston, we were suddenly able to meet them at an ice house. We (almost) picked up and went, just like that. Okay, we did have a little shifting to do, but it was worth it.
We shared some ribs, because we wanted to eat Asian food on the way out. Squid, it was. But on the way, we stopped at Torchy’s Tacos for a snack. We shared it all, so we didn’t super-over-indulge. A treat is a treat, and we should all get them.
I

 Rice Village is a must stop in Houston. Half Price Books gave us a nice bit of cash for the anime books my daughter left in her room. Of course, they offer an abundance of art, food, fashion and travel books for you to leave with. It’s a trade.
Blue Elephant a boutique in the village, made me a mimosa and fed me a fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie while I shopped. The clerk pointed out Rewined candles what smell like sangria, chardonnay, etc. The thick, green holders are made from cut-off wine bottles. It’s recycling at its most fashionable.

Pucker up for Rocket Fizz, 2413 Rice Blvd., where I saw people three generations of sweet-lovers discussing their favorite, long-lost brands. Well actually, some of them never went away, or are completely new sugar highs. The man behind the counter said his customers are taken back to their childhood with Sugar Babies, cream sodas, metal signs with ‘50s brands and all the fun an innocence of heading to the candy store with change in your pocket.
There’s always something new to see in Houston. I’m planning my next trip. Or, leaving it unplanned.
ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment