Sunday, March 6, 2016

The "dish" on Texas

 
-->
When I saw Port Arthur featured on the metal Texas-shaped dish, I couldn’t resist. A family nestled under a beach umbrella is etched near our city, near a big fish for Galveston and the San Jacinto Monument for Houston. The Lone Star State’s story goes all the way to a cattle drive in El Paso and a crown for King Ranch at the tip of Texas. Our flag, capitol building and a bluebonnet rim the shape, which seems a little cheated in the panhandle. It’s marked “Made in Japan” and the woman at Dovetail Antiques figures it’s a ‘50s piece.
I got this fabulous kitsch at one of the stores in the Liberty town square and there’s more waiting for spring road trippers.
A cold day had me passing through Liberty I ventured one block over from the main road to find a courthouse with a thriving square around the plaza de mercado. I spent 20 minutes in Liberty and I’m planning to head back when there’s more time, and sun.

Fun in Southeast Texas
         In one week I attended an educational Orphan Train presentation with live banjo and guitar music; an emotional production of “Jesus Christ Superstar” in concert at Beaumont Community Players and an inspiring opening of Carlo Buceme’s “Relentless” opening at The Art Studio Inc.
         Hope you’re not one of those people staying at home because there’s nothing to do. Look for adult coloring at Texas Artists Museum, Big Thicket educational treks, salsa dancing, you name it.
         Now that we’re getting more daylight, it’s time to explore. See you out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment