Enjoy RiverFest foods, then head for the veggies
Even if you indulge in this weekend’s Port Neches RiverFest goodies, you can still consider ways to get your greens, and reds and yellows.
Go veggies, says natural chef Patty James, author of “More Vegetables, Please! Easy Ways To Add More Veggies To Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.”
She reminds that a vegetable-rich diet reduces risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke and some cancers as well as lowering pressure and the risk of eye and digestive problems. Try her tips to eat more veggies:
• In a bit of olive oil, sauté onions, peppers, zucchini and garlic for a few minutes and then add eggs or tofu and spinach leaves for a healthier scramble.
• Add a handful of leafy greens to your morning smoothie.
• Add shredded zucchini to your next muffin recipe.
• Add pureed pumpkin or other squash to pancake batter in lieu of some fat.
• On your next sandwich or wrap, add some grated carrots and zucchini, sprouts and lettuce.
• Add pureed peas to your next guacamole recipe.
• Steam the stems of the broccoli, puree and add to hummus to guacamole.
• Add grated carrots and slices of cooked butternut squash to your next grilled-cheese sandwich.
• Add minced red peppers, celery, red onion and shredded carrots to your next tuna salad recipe.
• Add some spinach leaves to your homemade hummus or place store-bought hummus in your blender and add spinach leaves yourself.
• Marinara sauce used for pasta or pizza is an easy way to add more veggies …shredded zucchini, finely chopped broccoli, chopped spinach leaves, red peppers, onions and garlic.
• Add peas, chopped broccoli, and grated carrots to your next macaroni and cheese recipe.
• A meat loaf is an easy way to add more veggies to your life. Finely chop and add red pepper, onions, celery, carrots and any other favorite veggie.
Sweet deal for ice cream lovers
An ice cream trip to Baskin-Robbins was a big deal in my youth. I still remember the 31 flavors school book covers. A 31 Cent Scoop Night will be from 5 to 10 p.m. on Wednesday, April 28, at all Baskin-Robbins locations nationwide. The business will make a $100,000 donation to the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation. The Baskin-Robbins at 4030 Dowlen Road in Beaumont has invited Beaumont Fire & Rescue to collect donations for the State of Texas Fire Fighter Memorial. The firefighters will be scooping. All donors giving more than $5 to the firefighter tip jar will receive a free music download card while they last. Look for new flavors such as Carmel Praline Cheesecake and Cotton Candy. Look for a new store with drive through scoops at 775 South 11th Street in Beaumont near Gateway Shopping Center.
Don’t you feel ahead of the curve when Culinary Thrill Seeking reports McCormick Flavor Forecasts? This time, they’ve gone grilling and predict these trends:
• Fired Up Fruit - Grilled fruits are being skewered alongside meats, pureed to make tenderizing marinades, and chopped for salsas and relishes.
• Ethnic Sizzle - Nearly every cuisine around the globe claims a place on the grill – especially current favorites like Caribbean, Latin, Thai, Vietnamese and Indian.
• Cilantro & Lime – Cutting across the diverse cuisines, this bright and zingy pair is a refreshing taste of summertime.
TRY IT: Tequila-Lime Skirt Steak with Avocado Chopped Salad
• Rosemary & Fig – Figs are an unexpected and regionally inspired match for aromatic rosemary.
TRY IT: Tuscan Grilled Lamb Chops with Warm White Beans Provençal
• Chipotle & Maple – This culinary comingling delivers an updated take on smoky, spicy and sweet.
TRY IT: Grilled Chipotle-Maple Salmon with Wilted Spinach
• Brown Sugar & Bourbon – A versatile duo that brings a delicious dose of Southern charm to the patio.
TRY IT: Brown Sugar Bourbon Pork Tenderloin with Grilled Cornbread and Peaches
• Cinnamon & Coffee – Bold and confident – with just the right edge of bitterness.
TRY IT: Cinnamon Mocha Ice Cream Sandwiches with Grilled Strawberries
• Red Chili Sauce & Mango –The unmistakable flavor of mango takes hot or sweet red chili sauce far beyond mere “condiment status.”
TRY IT: Thai Grilled Flatbread with Mango & Sweet Chili Sauce