Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Will you still quilt me?
Beatles fans, wrap yourselves in memories. The Fabric Store and Sew Much More in Nederland has yards of different Beatles fabrics in the “Yellow Submarine” style. Ann Murphy, an instructor there, said women often make Beatles quilts for their husbands.


Something fishy
James Dalton Taylor, 13 of Hamshire, is such a skilled redfish, trout and bass fisherman that Ninja Angler gear is sponsoring him in tournaments, according to his proud pop, Capt. James Taylor, fishing guide. I met Taylor at Daley’s Hunt ‘N’ Fish Supply, the new sportsman’s paradise store in Port Acres. I haven’t yet met Dalton, who is headed to the 8th grade at Hamshire-Fannett Junior High in a few short weeks.

A Port Arthur Dad
The Corsicana Sun featured children sharing their fathers’ advice on Father’s Day. Babbette Samuels, a Pierce Museum docent, is the daughter of Meyer Blankfield.
“He loved music and theater and passed that onto me,” she said in the feature. “He played violin and trumpet and was in the A&M band while in college. After he married and settled, he played violin in the Scottish Rite orchestra in Port Arthur at one time.” His advice: ‘You can always ask, they’re not going to eat you.’ I lost my mother when I was 10; needless to say, I worshipped my Daddy. Sadly, I lost him two months before my 21st birthday,” she said.
If you have a Community Scoop item, send it to ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment