Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fort Worth is in bloom with action
I just happened to hit Fort Worth during the Cowtown Marathon and the mood was action-packed. But the city’s botanical gardens were peaceful acres that seemed miles away from nearby skyscrapers. Birds and bees enjoyed the flowers as much as I did, but the big focus is on an upcoming butterfly exhibit. Landscapers were moving in butterfly-shaped planters filled with colorful pansies.
I hit the Amon Carter Museum of American Art for Georgia O’Keeffe’s versions of flowers on canvas. If you make it by may 13, you can catch “Romance Maker: The Watercolors of Charles M. Russell.” His western scenes include two images of Native American women braiding the long hair of their men. I thought a woman brought her own giant magnifying glass, but noted the museum provided them to scope out the incredible details of Russell’s work.
You can imaging that grabbing a bite to eat was also part of my journey, so here’s what I hit: I’ve heard celebs on the west coast love In-N-Out Burger, so I was thrilled to find one. It was super clean, super efficient and super crowded. I can see why people love to go there, but in honesty, the food tasted a bit like cardboard to me.
Cattleman’s Steak House in the Stockards, has been in operation since 1947, but it was my first time to go visit. I ventured downstairs to private dining areas and I just wonder if I spied Kinky Friedman in the Bluebonnet Room. What I tried and loved there was calf fries. They were so light and airy I wonder if they used panko on them.
There’s still lots more waiting for me in Fort Worth.
ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment