Monday, August 3, 2015

How to Feed a Flock of Seagulls


How to feed the seagulls 101
         I was so sad when I heard people in Houston don’t ride the ferry to Galveston. I just didn’t know.
         As a kid, that ferry ride was at least as much fun as the island. Feeding the birds was the tops. Going with my family was fun because Grandma would be so funny about holding her hand just so in case anything decided to jump off of her into the water.
         Later I went with my high school friends and it was always fun to toss your bread so that maybe a seagull would try to eat it from the top of their head. Now that’s free fun, folks.
         This is a memory of seagulls all along our beautiful Texas Coast. I ran into some in the Bolivar area who followed me down the block, from the highway to the water. The thing is, I didn’t want to feed them in front of someone’s cabin driveway if that was not considered kosher. Maybe people who live there don’t find a flock of seagulls as much fun as I do. So, I tried to coax them a little at a time. It worked.
         When I felt I could feed freely, I pulled out my secret weapon. A bag of tortilla chips my mom sent with me from her Mexican take-out. Here’s the lesson, if you didn’t know:
         Tortilla chips can sail with the wind for amazing catches.
         Also, you can crumple them up to make one chip become dozens of chip dust that will send those birds into a frenzy. Fun!
         If you haven’t been to the beach yet this summer, may I suggest Sea Rim State Park. While you’re at it, vote for it as your favorite state park on the Texas Parks & Wildlife Foundation site.

No comments:

Post a Comment