Friday, July 5, 2013

Been biking this summer?

 
How’s your summer?
My family’s bikes got some “work done” and my daughter and I whizzed through the neighborhood ringing our handlebar bells. Mine’s shaped like a red bell pepper because I like to cook. The rush of cool air felt like a beach breeze and I eventually started thinking about heading home because I’d have to find time to take a walk. Then it hit me, I was on the bike having fun and exercising at the same time.
This anecdote happens to loop into something new for bikes:
While I think the best bicycle accessory is a big wicker basket to fill with blessings, some safety advocates would say a bike light is a more important one. Twistlit is an L.E.D. bike light from Niteize.com that offers Geartie Technology. That means a simple “industrial” twist tie lets you position powerful read or clear lights that can be set to blink or not. Summer nights seem to last forever, but cyclists must remain visible as they head home from adventures. Good for all ages of peddlers. I love how easy these are to get on and go. It’s as easy to tie one on as it is to close a bread bag.


Want to smell like chocolate?
Palmer’s has been around for years, but something knew is the ‘no-mess pump dispenser’ on Skin Therapy Oil, a cocoa butter formula with rosehip oil, Vitaman E, sesame oil and the good recommended for scars, stretch marks and aging skin. If you’ve lost weight from your fitness regime, you’ll love it. Besides the amazing aroma, I love how this oil absorbs quickly. Makers suggest this oil can replace lots of other potions cluttering up your shelf space. I’m going to pump it on all summer. Glad the drug store will have more for fall weather.
Other Palmer finds include:
·         Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Moisturizing Lip Balm with SPF 15, $1.65 at drugstores
·         Palmer’s Coconut Oil Formula Deep Conditioning Protein Pack , $2 at drugstores
        ·      Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Heel Repair, $6.49 at drugstores


Wine selections
Holman Ranch Vineyards is in the “fruit zone,” with vines planted 15 degrees off due north which allows for all day sunlight and breeze protection in Carmel Valley. They stress the vines, which is good for us, giving an emphasis on reproduction. There’s fog in the morning, but not too much. All this detail makes me want to visit the grapes, by the Santa Lucia Mountains. But hey, Holman Ranch did all this work, so let it come to us here in Texas. Here’s some blends I enjoyed to the utmost and that make them proud:
Estate Grown Chardonnay: This 2010 release is labeled “A fine food wine,” so I tested it with guacamole mild enough to enjoy this wine’s honey and toast flavors. It’s “long on the palette,” and that should help you savor the experience.
Clones 146 and 152 vines make Pinos Gris a dry offering with honey and citrus tastes. Pairs with an evening on the patio.
Estate Grown Chardonnay: This 2010 release is labeled “A fine food wine,” so I tested it with guacamole mild enough to enjoy this wine’s honey and toast flavors. It’s “long on the palette,” and that should help you savor the experience.
Clones 146 and 152 vines make Pinos Gris a dry offering with honey and citrus tastes. Pairs with an evening on the patio.
Pinot Noir: They were going with “true varietal character.” Holman Ranch has been creating since 1928. They have achieved.
Sweet vanilla bean and strawberry  2010 Hunter’s cuvee Pinot Noir is aged in 50 percent new French oak and 50 percent neutral French oak for seven months. It took just one evening for me to appreciate  this wine with chicken.
2011 Sauvignon Blanc  with fruit made me appreciate a good white. Red is my first pick, but sometimes it’s true, that variety is the spice of life.
Pinot Noir was my favorite with sour cherry and tobacco to round it all out.
Ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment