Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Austin gets an "A"

Austin gets an A

My "capital" time in Austin was spent checking in on places I already love.The great mother Whole Foods is my current favorite place not only for exposure to foods from around the globe and the interesting people who shop for them, but also for a cool respite. I’m not gonna lie, that underground lot is one of the few places one can park in Austin. I got a tiffin, one of those stacking metal lunch boxes.



Keep Austin Weird

I looked it up, “Portlandia” fans. They were keeping Austin weird before Portland. Don’t worry. There’s enough weird for everyone.

 

I saw Gandhi painted on the Goodwill store, picked up a Nepalese singing bowl on South Congress and hit a Spec’s for empty cigar boxes to make a craft project.



Years ago I wrote about  an all-day mission to find Jasmine restaurant in Austin, because my daughter is named Jasmine. Now we have smart phones that can get us places quickly. But that doesn’t always help with a road blocked for construction or, in Austin, a parade.

For years I wanted to try the Clay Pit, an Indian food restaurant. I pulled in to what looks like their lot, but all the signs were for another place. I had to use the meter with a credit card. I’m not jiggy with that. The food was amazing but I was concentrating on getting back to the meter. Everyone at lunch was talking about the parking, not the food. Even the waiter was telling me that if he doesn’t get that one long-time meter, he has to keep going out during his shift to feed the meter.

Even so, it’s all worth a trip to Austin.

ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment