Thursday, January 7, 2010

Resolve to try new things in 2010
I enjoyed every bite I had over the holidays and am already feeling better about it by drinking lots of water and eating healthy grains and vegetables. I’m with all the other New Year’s Resolution folks I see walking around the neighborhoods. It feels good.
My friend Brenda provided the black-eyed-peas for my Jan. 1 meal. She baked them into a casserole with collard greens and ham, then topped it with cornbread.
I lucked into cabbage at Market Basket for 15 cents a pound and shredded the lot of it for the traditional Castillo egg rolls. The day began with a “pate/hummus” blend I concocted from black-eyed peas.

Mangosteens & Pomegranate
My tasters up front deemed Naturally Thai Mangosteen an appealing shot and seem disappointed AgroLabs product was meant to serve 16. Jennifer could have downed the whole bottle. You’re supposed to relish the zanthones and other good stuff from this fruit that looks like it’s having babies. Pineapple, pear and more go into the mix. I recently shared word on the company’s Naturally Pomegranate, which I enjoyed mixed in ginger ale and alone. A little bird says the following sauce is “amazing with mahi mahi.”
Pomegranate-Lime Dressing
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup Naturally Pomegranate
1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon canola oil
Salt
Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl. Add canola oil and whisk to blend. Season with salt to taste. Makes 4 servings at 52 calories each.

X marks the sweet spot
Oh, think of the things you can do with Xagave Premium Raw Agave Nectar. Wait, you don’t have to think too hard: Stephen Richards has already written a cookbook with goodies as diverse as Bourbon Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Kansas City Jambalaya to Beer Beef Marinade and Pomegranate Tequilini.
Xagave is a sweet, amber liquid that puts tasters in the mind of honey, but there’s no “getting used to it” factor. It’s good straight up.
I think I’ll save some to try this interesting breakfast drink with oatmeal:
Chocolate Protein Oat Shake
4 to 6 ounces low fat milk
1 to 2 ice cubes
1 to 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 1/2 tablespoons Xagave
1 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoons rolled oats
Blend all ingredients together on high or liquefy.
ddoiron@panews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment